We all make New Year’s Resolutions, but do we make resolutions for our beloved pets? If not, it’s time to consider doing so.
Here are a few resolutions to live by that will help your pet be happier and live longer:
- Have your dog and cat’s teeth professionally examined and cleaned (This is to include having whole mouth dental x-rays to look for hidden problems that x-rays can only detect)
- Use VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) approved dental treats. Here’s the website and check out what’s available (www.vohc.org)
- I personally like PetSmile Brushless Toothpaste, Tartar Shield Chews, OraVet Chews, and HealthyMouth Water Additive Each is VOHC-approved
- Consider pet health insurance for your puppy or kitten
- Most insurance companies DO NOT cover preexisting periodontal disease, and since 80% of dogs and cats have perio disease over the age of 3, having insurance may not be worth while for dogs over 4 years of age. Check it out! I personally like Trupanion Insurance.
These are 3 wise and true resolutions!
Barden Greenfield, DVM, DAVDC