03 Jan New Year’s Resolution…Add Dental Care For Your Pet!
We all make New Year’s Resolutions, but do we make resolutions for our beloved pets? If not, it’s time to consider doing so.
Here are a few resolutions to live by that will help your pet be happier and live longer:
- Have your dog and cat’s teeth professionally examined and cleaned (This is to include having whole mouth dental x-rays to look for hidden problems that x-rays can only detect)
- Use VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) approved dental treats. Here’s the website and check out what’s available (www.vohc.org)
- I personally like PetSmile Brushless Toothpaste, Tartar Shield Chews, OraVet Chews, and HealthyMouth Water Additive Each is VOHC-approved
- Consider pet health insurance for your puppy or kitten
- Most insurance companies DO NOT cover preexisting periodontal disease, and since 80% of dogs and cats have perio disease over the age of 3, having insurance may not be worth while for dogs over 4 years of age. Check it out! I personally like Trupanion Insurance.
These are 3 wise and true resolutions!
Barden Greenfield, DVM, DAVDC